April 05, 2014

Moments III: There are nights when the wolves are silent and only the moon howls.

Hello everyone! Apologies for the gaping void which has been my blog lately, it has only just occurred to me how long it has been since my last update and that is first and foremost due to the fact that I have been a busy bee over the last couple of months getting things ready for the opening of my Etsy shop, and secondly because my head just hasn't been in the right place for it. It feels as if that part of my brain which was once only too eager has somehow been obscured by a thick layer of mind fog! Don't get me wrong, I'd really like to pick it up again but I think I need to do some spring cleaning inside my head first! In the meantime I thought I would do a 'moments' post to share some of the things I've been enjoying during my absence..



♥ 1. I found this wonderful vintage Scottish sword brooch back in March and it has since left me with a strange urge to build a little armoury of them! It currently resides on my favorite jacket.

♥ 2. Tokyo Milk has been on the edge of my mind for quite some time, specifically the 'Dark' range which seemed near impossible to get hold of, at least here in the UK! Thankfully I managed to find these conditioning lip balms made with bee balm and jasmine in the following scents: Coco Noir (dark rum, maraschino cherry, sweet milk and cacao bean) and Salted Caramel (sweet cream, sea salt, caramelised sugar and toasted vanilla bean).

♥ 3. I couldn't believe my luck when I scored this gorgeous little curio cabinet for a little less than £6! If only I could find my dream printer's tray for that price!

♥ 4. A while ago Emma of Little Gothic Horrors sent me a link to a freebie pattern by The Little Stitcher that she thought I would love, and she was right! I stitched it up within a day and placed her in one of my antique frames. ♥



♥ 5. Marvellously macabre postcard prints from Beautymarkings on Etsy. If you are on IG then I highly suggest you follow Summer there to see more of her works in progress!

♥ 6. A disembodied phantom hand by artist Camille Rose Garcia taken from her 16 page special insert which was in February's issue of Hi-Fructose magazine. I may have purchased two copies just to be able to frame some of my favourites!

♥ 7. Charming little whimsical beings by artist Amy Earles. Again I highly suggest following Amy on IG if you can, her sketches never fail to put a smile on my face!

♥ 8. My Amy Earles paper doll now resides in a shadowbox of perpetual Hallowe'en night which I created just for her. ♥



♥ 9. A gathering of witch's brooms! When I was a child I used to think these masses of twigs were bird nests until I learnt otherwise, they're in fact a deformity in the trees growth caused by some kind of fungus. I just adore their 'scientific' name!

♥ 10. A fluke image of me captured in my antique mirror above my dresser. My camera must have focused on the age spots and scratches on the surface of the mirror resulting in this. According to my IG followers it makes me look like a ghostly villainess which is just fine with me!

♥ 11. Venetian masks, butterflies in bell jars and Archimedes the Little Owl atop my bookcase in the bedroom. ♥

♥ 12. As I mentioned above I have been busy getting things ready for the opening of my Etsy shop and one of the tasks was taking pictures of my product, I had a lot of fun sourcing props from around my house including ivy from the garden.


♥ 13 + 16. I've always had a soft spot for spirit photography and magician posters but lately I've been fascinated by them even more so. These two pictures were snapped from the pages of books I own.

♥ 14. Another form of antique photography which I adore is paper moon cabinet cards, this is a close up of one of the few paper moon post cards which I am lucky enough to have in my possession, titled 'Frau Luna' c.1907.

♥ 15. The glittering night sky I created for the background of my shadowbox inspired by paper moons. ♥

And lastly..



I opened my Etsy shop, Coven Of Stitches, two weeks ago and I couldn't believe my eyes when my cross stitches sold out within an hour! It left me feeling excited and rather humbled to think that so many people wanted one. I have since been inundated with questions asking if I am going to be selling more, which of course I am! I'm currently waiting for some supplies to arrive and then my hands will be busy for quite some time!

I hope you've all been well and I wish you all a lovely weekend!

29 comments:

  1. Good luck with your etsy shop! And I love that antique mirror!

    x Dawn
    www.wickedlypleasant.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! The mirror is a particular favourite of mine too! :)

      Delete
  2. The sword brooch was such a find! And that miniature curio cabinet is gorgeous!
    Good luck with your shop - I am sure it will be a successful one:-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it lovely! I believe all the best brooches are Scottish made - I've got a small collection of them myself including two deer, a grouse claw and a Scottish thistle! Thank you for the support! :D

      Delete
  3. I'm glad to see you back! It's funny timing for you to update your blog, because I was just thinking about your blog this morning for some reason. I'm not sure what reminded me - I guess I was just missing your updates! I really like that disembodied hand picture. I wonder if that was created by the same artist who did that Arsenic and Old Lace hand? I think you used to have that illustration on your blog? This one:

    http://www.teeteringbulb.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/arsenic-and-old-lace.jpg

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Justine! :D I actually happened across the artist of that Arsenic and Old Lace illustration a while ago on Etsy! Her name is Zelda Devon and her shop is of the same name, I particularly love her illustration called 'Drowned Ball'. The picture I have framed is by Camille Rose Garcia, you should check her out, I know you'll love her work!!

      Delete
  4. You have always such fine taste for decoration and everything :) I love the little cabinet! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you lovely! The cabinet was a complete bargain and in such a wonderful condition too! It was hard to pass up!

      Delete
  5. I always look forward to your posts. Love the images you share

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you lovely, that's very kind of you :)

      Delete
  6. Eeeeeeee! Your little witch looks spooktacular!!! And what a perfect frame for her!!! Super congrats on Coven of Stitches (such a brilliantly clever name). I think you've really discovered your special niche with those wickedly pretty little cross stitches. I'm so pleased for you!

    As always, your gorgeous post, filled with the most delightful curiosities, has left me completely inspired! ❤

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Emma, I'm glad you approve of the name! I was quite blown away by the response to the opening of my shop (my anxiety was through the roof leading up to the opening) I'm just so glad that people like them, I only wish that I could stitch faster! XD ❤

      Delete
  7. I loved everything in this post! You have excellent taste :)

    We share a love for Camille Rose Garcia's work - I have just ordered that edition of Hi Fructose for the CRG insert!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Once I'd heard that she was going to have a special feature I knew I had to grab myself a copy! The insert is wonderful; printed on thick card-like paper and set out in such a way that makes it perfect for framing which is why I had to nab a second copy! I hope you enjoy it!

      Delete
  8. That's ok, my posting is a bit sporadic at the moment, too. And of course your amazing collection has grown again! I am so jealous! I always love your picture posts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. With this new Etsy shop venture of mine I feel that I will have even less time for the blog but that doesn't have to be the case, I guess I just need to find the right balance between life and blogging! :)

      Delete
  9. How awesome that everything you created for your shop sold out within the hour! I think that speaks to the quality of your work, and I wish you sellouts every single time you restock your store! Great name, BTW. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so very much! :) I hope so too! XD

      Delete
  10. You have a perfect gift for finding all the nice stuff. That's great news that your etsy shop was such a success. I have a shop but it's closed for the moment, lack of spare time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thank the gods for the likes of eBay and secondhand shops because finding these treasures on a budget would be so much harder if they didn't exist!

      Delete
  11. Welcome back! I do enjoy your posts, so I´d love to see them more often <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Violette :) I'll try my best!

      Delete
  12. I'm speechless... Fascinating, this blog.
    Following

    http//acontarvindodoceu.blogspot.pt

    ReplyDelete
  13. Always excited to see your findings. <3 And it seems, as always, i cannot pick something i don't like... Not to mention your very ghostly selfie that i adore!! Oh and congrats on your etsy shop, it is obvious why people left you without any of your goods and so quickly! You are very talented and it would be very natural so sell them all!!! So glad about that and i cannot wait to see the new one's ^-^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Magda, you're always so sweet and kind! It was kind of sad in a way to see all my items disappear so quickly, one moment my shop was full of pretty pictures of cross stitches and then it was empty haha! :P

      Delete
  14. I love all of it, may I say you have a very good taste? ;) I am absolutely loving the disembodied hand, it's beautiful! Wishing you the best of luck with your etsy shop (I know you don't need it, mind :))

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a fun post filled with goodies! I'm glad you found the TokyoDark balms, they're lovely -- wearing absinthe right now! Def going to favourite your Etsy shop... I have the same fog about my Etsy shop, so many ideas, but can't seem to get the motivation to actually get them done! Hoping to get something done this week as I'm quite excited about it! Good for you for selling out! Now get stitching! XXX Jet

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a CUTE post :) and your blog is so fab and fun.

    Check out my new post....How you decorate a small space to look bigger :)

    Have a great weekend dear

    LOVE Maria at inredningsvis - inredning it's, Swedish for decor :)

    ReplyDelete