February 03, 2014

Moments II: She always had that about her, that look of otherness, of eyes that see things much too far, and of thoughts that wander off the edge of the world.

It's time for another 'Moments' post, this time covering the last week of January which could best be described as bleak and dismal, but not even my winter blues could ruin the feeling of those happiness butterflies which were fluttering around inside thanks to my loved ones, a book and a cosy blanket! I've never been the sort to make a big deal out of my birthday, I would choose an evening of films and good food with my other half over a party any day of the week and that's exactly what we did, as well as spending a day exploring Dracula's second home!



♥ I've been enchanted by the otherworldly photography of Dutch artist, Nona Limmen, since winning her giveaway last June, and as my birthday was drawing near I decided it was high time I supported this amazing artist by treating myself to a couple of her prints! Above are the two beauties that I chose, all framed up in their vintage frames! Destroyer III on the left and Anais on the right, and because Nona is such a darling she even included some extra goodies for my birthday! :)



♥ More weirdness abound lays inside the second installment of the fascinating and curious Miss Peregrine's Peculiar Children series, which fell through my letterbox last Monday! I had all but forgotten about it since I pre-ordered it last year so it came as an exceedingly good surprise!



 Treasures from my birthday trip to Whitby! I had hoped to take some pictures around the Abbey, and maybe catch a glimpse of Dracula lurking among the headstones, but sadly the weather had other plans. The Moomin plates, stag beetle and my favourite find, that amazing antique medical bottle which once held belladonna ointment and belonged to a long dead mad scientist (I wish!), more than made up for it though!



 Deadly sweet smelling potions from my other half! After falling deeply for my first bottle of the limited edition Gingerbread Snake, I *may* have hinted that I wanted back-ups for my birthday as I couldn't bear the thought of running low on my 'holy grail' scent!



♥ What else could you possibly get a book-hoarder for her birthday, right? 'Ghostly Ruins', which has been on my wish-list for quite some time, documents the life and death of thirty buildings spread across America. From prisons to hotels and even entire towns, this book acts as a kind of guided tour if you will, juxtaposing their peak of popularity with their current state of haunted decrepitude. The photographs inside are simply captivating!



♥ .. and lastly are these two beautiful vintage lithographs from an old German ornithology book, featuring a Common or Northern Raven and my favourite species within the Corvus family, the Hooded Crow! I plan to add them to my 'wilderness' wall once I find suitable frames.

Is it just me or did January seem to come and go in the blink of an eye?

24 comments:

  1. What absolutely gorgeous prints, I have a weakness for beautiful prints but I rarely buy them, I just add them to wishlists and picture them on my walls. I felt like January went by both fast and long, the weather has been a really pain in my ass, I'm not a fan of Winter/snow. I love all the things you get to fill your life, everything is so wondrous.

    <3Rachel

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely have a weakness for prints too and I wish I could buy all the art that I desire but unfortunately I'm not that rich! Besides, I have my whole life ahead of me in which to collect beautiful things for my walls and discover new artists! In time I would like to think that my home will resemble a library/art gallery! :D

      Delete
  2. Happy Birthday, Sandy! I'm with you, I'd always pick an evening of films and good food over a party too. :) And a visit to Dracula's second home... well, that would be the ultimate cherry-on-top! You got some wonderful birthday treats. The 'Ghostly Ruins' book looks fascinating!

    You really do have the most drool-worthy collection of frames! I think the choice of frame adds a whole extra dimension to an artwork. How lovely of Nona to send you some extra birthday goodies too! And yes, January flew by. Sometimes I wish I could put the world on *pause*. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you lovely! I had those two frames in mind for Nona's work all along! I spray painted them black because the original gold tone that they were would not have suited the prints at all in my opinion! I always try to match a frame to a print as best as I can but sometimes it can be tricky!

      Delete
  3. no, January went by in a flash! It usually seems to drag on forever.

    You got so much cool stuff for your birthday! Yeah, book 2 is out. I loved the first one. I'll have to check out that Ghostly Ruins book, I wonder if anything is near me?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would be awesome if something were near you, you'd be able to go visit in person! I love how many beautiful old buildings are abandoned and left to rust in America, especially what was once grand homes, you don't see that very often here in England as we're only a little country! I especially love the ghost towns that you guys have! Road tripping America is my ultimate dream!

      Delete
  4. I love the prints! Perfection! I did not know Hollow City was out yet! So excited but a little scared at how long it will take me to get hold of it now! I want to read those other books, too! Especially the ruin one! And I love Moomintrolls! I discovered them as a kid before you could really get the books or toys here! I would still love an entire Moonmintroll house playset! Those lithographs are amazing! I love ravens and crows!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A doll house size replica of the Moomin house would be awesome! I don't think I've even seen one but if they do exist then I think I'm going to be adding it to my list of dream things to own! <3

      Delete
  5. What a lovely post and so many gorgeous things you got! :) Happy Birthday! Your taste is great, those Nona Limmen's prints are so beautiful they break my heart!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :) I just couldn't love Nona's work more if I tried, if you have an IG account then I would definitely suggest following her, she has a wonderful feed!

      Delete
  6. Oh what a lovely things you've got! Where can you buy those cute little potions? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The perfume oils are from Black Phoenix Alchemy Lab. If you Google them then you'll find their website, I'd suggest giving yourself plenty of time to browse though as their catalogue of scents is vast! :D

      Delete
  7. Oh, i loooove the Mumin-plates. Are these book by Tove Janson easy to find in english translation in the uk? She is obviously very very famous in Sweden & Finland.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the books are quite easy to find here as well as memorabilia! It's obviously not as popular as it is in it's home country but most people, at least from my age, remember watching it on TV as children!

      Delete
  8. Haappppyy Birthday my beautiful lady! (Am i late for the wishes, i am sorry i was confused with the date :$) How is possible not to love all of your things! One day, someday i will need your permission to snick into your library and live there :P Ghostly ruins awww the love about this beauty!! You always left me in awe with your wonderful taste and all the finds you bring home!! :O May all your wishes come true from the bottom of my heart :)<3<3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you sweet Magda :) You are a little late but it's the thought that counts right! XD Of course you can come and live in my library, it's a shame we don't live closer because we could lend each other books if we did! <3

      Delete
  9. You have a magical skill to nose up those beautiful things life is giving us! I have to try Black Phoenix Alchemy lab, perfumes, they are not too heavy are they? The next book of Miss Peregrine, I have to read it, the first one left me with excitement for the next. The prints, photos and the other books looks so lovely!
    I love the moomin books there is a stroke of darkness in them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I agree, the old Moomin cartoons on TV were really quite creepy for a childrens show but that's probably why I loved it! I have very fond memories of watching it after school! I purchased the box set a couple years ago and all this talk of Moomins has made me want to watch them again!

      Delete
  10. Loving them all!

    x Dawn
    www.wickedlypleasant.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your Found Treasures are spectacular! The Antique Medical Bottle... I'm so envious!

    Blessings from the Arizona Desert... Dawn... The Bohemian

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just adore the medical bottle, the shape, the colour and the size! I kind of regret not getting the other matching bottle, I can't remember what was printed on the label but it would have been nice to own the pair. Maybe it'll still be there next time I go back!

      Delete
  12. what beautiful finds you have there! i especially like the postcards and the ravens.

    ReplyDelete