January 26, 2014

Deer, oh deer!


I stumbled upon a wonderful old Paiute Indian legend earlier today which kind of reminded me of my latest cross-stitch, created whilst marathon watching Prison Break this weekend! The Paiutes tell a story about a bright star that can be seen low down in the eastern sky on summer mornings, a star we have come to know as Sirius, in the constellation Canis Major.

Their legends tell of a young man who was inexperienced in the art of hunting and so became the laughing stock of his village. One morning he heads off into the hills to hunt but with no bow and arrow he decides his only option is to run the deer down. He spots a large buck in a clearing and runs after it, over land, hills and desert until there was nowhere left to run but over the rim of the world and up into the sky. Since that time the Paiutes say that the best deer hunting is to be had when the 'deer-star' can be seen.

Quite fitting don't you think?

14 comments:

  1. Beautiful story :) And I like your creations very much, I think that such creative skills (like embroidering, cross-stitching or crocheting) are nowadays very undervalued. I remembered that I was kind of ashamed as a little girl that I let my grandma teach me embroidering and a bit of knitting, because it wasn't cool :D Little did I know then - now I plan to learn crocheting (or to ask grandma to teach me!)..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What lovely memories you share with your grandma! I would love to learn how to crochet, I'd make myself my dream granny blanket and a large black hooded scarf! I actually think that embroidery and cross-stitching is becoming a popular hobby again nowadays, at least I have come to notice since taking it up myself but that could be because I'm looking!

      Delete
  2. Wonderful story! And lovely cross stitch

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that story, which I'd heard before. I also love the beautiful black and white simplicity of your cross stitch piece in its lovely frame. :o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a wonderful story isn't it, I may have to create a couple others based of American Indian legends and wisdom! I especially love the Cherokee legend about the two wolves, maybe I'll do that one next! I'm glad you like my creation! :D

      Delete
  4. The story is breathtaking (just as this work is) but the deer made me authomatically think about the Baratheons.
    I think it´s because I want to see more of your wonderful GOT inspired cross-itching here! Hahaha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, you know my other half said the same thing! If I added a crown around it's neck then it could well be but I like it the way it is. :) I'm sure that I'll create some more GOT inspired pieces once the next season starts, in fact I've still got an idea from last year which I want to bring to life!

      Delete
  5. Your cross stitch, the legend, and the frame are all absolutely lovely! I was only just thinking about you and your cross stitching. I connected with an Italian cross stitcher last week after stumbling across the most adorable Addams Family cross stitch pattern that she had designed. She has some downloadable freebie patterns on her blog and I thought you might like her 'Vintage Witch'. :)

    http://thelittlestitcher.blogspot.it/2013/08/vintage-witch.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Emma! I'm definitely going to have to stitch that little vintage witch pattern, maybe this Halloween! I've got five more frames in this style and I would imagine the witch would look perfect in one of the smaller ones!

      Delete