October 31, 2013

When witches go riding, and black cats are seen, the moon laughs and whispers, 'tis near Halloween!

This haunting season has been quite a hectic one to say the least! The bedroom has finally been redecorated leaving me the dreaded task of organising and rearranging the room (which is still an ongoing process!) but in my spare time I've also been enjoying those wonderful seasonal activities such as decorating, pumpkin carving, watching an abundance of horror films and baking plenty of ghoulish treats! Here is a little roundup of the things I've been enjoying the most this past month..




Having slightly spooky decor all year round is pretty beneficial when it comes to decorating for Halloween, just add a few handmade decorations and a grinning jack-o'-lantern and voilà! One of my favourite finds this month has to be the 'Home Haunted Home' sign, it's cheaply made of polystyrene but I love the 'Haunted Mansion' vibe it has going on!



Something I've been overindulging in this month is scented candles, my home has been filled with a mouth-watering bouquet of Sticky Caramel Apples, Candy Corn and Pumpkin Pie, and my newest autumnal scent to join the ranks is Fireside Treats (the scent of gooey marshmallows licked by campfire flames!) I've also had my nose firmly stuck in a new book which I have been anticipating for the better part of this year! 'The Ghost Hunters' is a fictional retelling of Harry Price's real-life investigation of Borley Rectory back in 1929. I don't think a more perfect book could have been released at a more appropriate time and so far it has made for a rather spooky read!


Every year around this time it seems the spirit of some long dead baker inhabits my body and makes me do things I wouldn't normally do! I made these cobweb cakes yesterday with red and black sponge (not that you can really see under all that icing!) I also tried my hand at making pecan and walnut pie a few days ago which was surprisingly quite delicious, and tomorrow I will be making something even more sinful!



Coven. Oh how I love thee! I've been a fan of AHS since the first episode aired but this season has quite possibly the best story line the series is ever likely to have.. I mean I really don't see how the creators could possibly improve on it! The dark imagery in the opening credits alone is enough to keep me tuning in every week! ♥ I also watched The Conjuring this week and I have to admit, I absolutely adored it! It had everything I could possibly wish for in a supernatural horror, and it even managed to truly creep me out at times! I already want to watch it again!


Last but by no means least is my latest cross-stitch creation inspired by none other than the Sanderson Sisters! I finished adding the guipure lace trim last night and it'll soon be hanging on the bedroom wall!

Unfortunately for me I feel I may be coming down with something (I'm usually destined for at least one cold during the chilly months!) but I'm determined not to let it spoil the evening I've been most looking forward to all month! Let's hope the fiery Chinese food we will be consuming tonight will burn a few of those pesky germs out of my system!

What are you doing this Hallows' Eve? Are you having a quiet one like me or have you got a spooky gathering to attend?!

I wish you all a frightfully Happy Halloween!!! 

26 comments:

  1. I love your decorations. They are very creepy and fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is just your season! Enjoy!
    Liz @ Shortbread & Ginger

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you think so! My other half thinks I'm obsessed as it's all I talk/think about during September and October! XD ♥

      Delete
  3. Loooove the decorations! Your house looks amazing! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why thank you! I'm pretty happy with how it is turning out, decorating is so fun! ♥

      Delete
  4. Gorgeous post! I've had no time for Halloween baking at all this year which makes me sad - I wanted to make meringue ghosts and eyeball cake pops :( I LOVE your cross stitch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Robyn! Ohh I saw some meringue ghosts on tumblr, unfortunately I'm not a fan of meringue but if I were I'd definitely want to make those spooks! ♥

      Delete
  5. You really have a hand a Halloween decoration, everything you post here looks classy and spooky at the same time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosh thank you! :D I'm not really a fan of tacky Halloween decorations, I prefer to look for/make decorations that could be used all year around! ♥

      Delete
  6. I love the decorations!!! Happy Halloween! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ellone! Happy belated Halloween to you too! ♥

      Delete
  7. I like the cross-stitch picture! :D:D I have just recently thought about dusting off my skills and I love quotes made into cross-stitch! I have already choosed one and I am looking forward to it :D
    I haven't seen any season of AHS yet, but the promo pics for Coven are like...one of the best I have ever seen and I am so tempted :D:D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cross stitching is such a fun thing to do! I usually cross-stitch whilst I'm watching something on my laptop, it passes time quite nicely! Quotes are definitely my favourite thing to stitch because I can chose any quote from my favourite books or films and make them into my own unique decorations!

      The great thing about AHS is each season is a stand alone season so you could watch them in any order that you wish, or even just watch the one! I suggest you start with Coven! XD ♥

      Delete
  8. Amazing Halloween decoration! Love the third picture. It's a shame that here in Brazil halloween is not very popular.

    Blog Cerejas no Topo:
    http://www.cerejasnotopo.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do wish it was celebrated more here in the UK, it seems each year it becomes less and less popular which is a shame! I think Halloween should become a mandatory holiday in every country! ♥

      Delete
  9. I am always so jealous of your findings! Your house must look so perfect! When can I move in? I loooove the cross stitch!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha XD Some rooms are 'perfect', those that have already been gutted and re-plastered/re-timbered and decorated, but there are still many more rooms that are in need of TLC! It's a work in progress! I'm glad everyone likes the cross-stitch, many people have even told me to sell them! It's an idea! ♥

      Delete
  10. I love your decorations, and those cakes look delicious! I really want Fireside Treats but I've been busy stocking up on Christmas Cupcake as it's my favourite scent!

    That cross stitch is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Claire! Oh, Christmas Cupcake is SO good! I'm pretty conservative with mine, I find if I just leave the lid off the scent travels quite far around the house even without burning them! I find garden centers are some of the best places to stock up on Yankee candles just after Christmas as they usually sell their festive scents at 25-50% off! ♥

      Delete
  11. I love that sign too! ^^
    Only seen Season one of AHS, looking forward to start the second season. And yes, The Conjuring was awesome! Good horror/paranormal movies are rare these days. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree! Supernatural horror is my favourite genre in horror, but many of them are ruined by too much, or, badly done CGI! The conjuring was absolutely perfectly done! I just loved every single minute of it! ♥

      Delete
  12. I love scented candles! definitely need to get some winter smelling ones :)


    www.feelingvague.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you have a TK MAXX near you then I suggest looking there, they always have a great selection of scented candles, some similar to Yankee but at a quarter of the price! It's one of my favourite places to look! ♥

      Delete
  13. Coven <3
    I haven't watched The Conjuring yet but I have it ready for a night cuddling on the couch with the boy.

    I can't quite remember how I stumbled upon your blog... Tumblr, perhaps?
    Anyway, I have linked you on mine.

    nebulaborn.com

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Okay, my eye just happened to catch "Cross Stitch" amongst your tags and so I clicked on it and discovered that I had somehow missed your Halloween post. What a perfect collection of images. Love your "Home Haunted Home" sign and grinning jack-o'-lantern. Those little Victorian ghosties look more lovely every time I see them. October was a ridiculously hectic month, so I didn't set too many Halloweenie goals this year because I knew I'd just disappoint myself. I'm getting vicarious enjoyment from your cornucopia of creative endeavours. You do indeed seem to have been inhabited by the spirit of a long dead baker... and crafter! ;) But getting back to cross stitch... I adore your 'Hocus Pocus' creation! ❤

    ReplyDelete