November 14, 2012

Treasures from Edinburgh

Edinburgh, being the bustling tourist attraction that it is, is full of shopping opportunities no matter what your taste. Princes Street is probably Edinburgh's most popular shopping destination, packed with your every day high-street retailers such as Urban Outfitters, Debenhams, Topshop, River Island and so on, but the real treasures can be found in what is known as Old Town such as Grassmarket, West Port and Candlemaker Row. Along these old cobbled streets you can find an array of second hand book shops, antique shops, and vintage boutiques - it was definitely my favourite place to shop!

Looking Glass Letters/The Complete Stories and Poems of Lewis Carroll ~ Edinburgh Books

Sylvia Plath Collected Poems ~ Armchair Books

Alice's Adventures in Wonderland & Through the Looking Glass/ Scenes of Edwardian Life ~ Armchair Books

Vintage Goth rabbit ~ Cabaret antique shop

Old Town is quite literally a second-hand book paradise! I found so many wonderful hidden gems amongst those dusty old shelves, including a copy of The Looking Glass Letters which made my heart stop for just a second! There's nothing quite like reading old Victorian letters, especially those from the mind of Charles Dodgson! It's littered with old photographs and illustrations which provides a fascinating glimpse into the private life of the man who wrote one of the greatest classics of all time! And of course, you can never have too many copies of Alice in Wonderland!

I was also very happy to come across a copy of Sylvia Plath's Collected Poems. I knew I had to get my hands on a copy some day after spying a titbit of the book on Through The Looking Glass's blog. Sylvia's poems are at the same time deep, thoughtful, gloomy, sad, depressing, profound, dark, beautiful and completely inspiring.

Coraline ~ Deadhead Comics

I originally went into Deadhead Comics with the hope of finding The Walking Dead Compendium Volume 2 which they unfortunately didn't have but I didn't go away empty handed! I adore the film Coraline, and now I can finally tick the graphic novel off my book list! I could have spent all day looking around Deadhead Comics if it wasn't for my poor aching feet but I did get a chance to explore some more titles that I'm very interested in!

 Hair flower ~ Armstrong Vintage
Skull money box ~ Urban Outfitters

Picture frames ~ Urban Outfitters

Now that our living room is nearing completion (wallpaper is going up this Sunday!) I've been dusting off my collection of vintage and ornate frames and have been busy adding my own taste of art to each and every one of them! I can't wait to finally see them all together on the wall! These two from Urban Outfitters are very welcome additions!


I couldn't possibly go shopping without attracting any makeup candy now could I?! Can you believe that it was my very first time purchasing Urban Decay's Primer Potion? I've always gotten them free with Urban Decay palettes in the past but as I had very nearly run out I thought it was about time I bought one! I have to say I much prefer this new packaging!

I've longed for quite a few Deborah Lippmann polishes in the past but at £14 each I just couldn't bring myself to spend that much on a single polish, but seeing as this was our holiday I decided to treat myself! Good Girl Gone Bad is such a gorgeous shade, and somewhat similar to DL's Razzle Dazzle, which has to be one of my favourites, but Good Girl Gone Bad is more of a deep purple tone whereas Razzle Dazzle definitely leans more on the fuchsia side!

Preserved unicorn beetle and hornet ~ Dynamic Earth museum shop


Definitely one of my, if not the, favourite find of the week is this 'Edgy Cute' book full of lowbrow art including works from some of my favourite lowbrow artists such as Mark Ryden, Nicoletta Ciccoli and Ana Bagayan! I found it in one of my favourite bookshops, The Works, where it was reduced from £32 to £7.99! Considering Amazon are selling it for £27 at the moment, I think I got a bargain!


Lastly is a couple of purchases I made before and after our holiday which I thought I would include in this show and tell post. I purchased these two gorgeous polishes from Polish Revolution on Etsy, their names and the fact that it was nearing Hallowe'en at the time was enough to reel me in and the fact that I didn't have anything quite like them in my collection! I love the sweet little black hearts in 'Oh My Goth!'

The earrings are a more recent purchase from Restyle. I'm a big fan of Restyle's jewellery, especially their earrings, they remind me of the style of Alchemy Gothic but at a quarter of the price! My favourite pair to wear at the moment is the ankh style earrings which are perfect for every day wear!

I'd like to thank everyone for their kind comments on my last two Edinburgh posts :) My next post will be a hodge-podge of pictures from the museums we visited, the castle and more graveyard photographs!


~♥~

27 comments:

  1. Wow, some really cool treasures, congrats ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :) It is definitely a great place to shop for those interested in vintage and second-hand and there was definitely some other things I spotted that I wish I could have taken home! ~♥~

      Delete
  2. The earrings are amazing (I was sure they were from Restyle even before you told that :D they do awesome jewelry and it doesn't cost that much). I like the red ones particularly :)
    And I'm a fan of Mark Ryden too <3 if you like him, check Benjamin Lacombe, you might like his work too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Shannon, I'm already a BIG admirer of Benjamin Lacombe! I have a few pieces of him work already in frames ready to go up on the wall! It is a shame most of his books are in French and Spanish but it doesn't stop me from buying them as his illustrations speak for themselves! I've had one of his most recent books on pre-order for a year but the release date keeps being pushed back, hopefully if all goes well I should receive it this month! ~♥~

      Delete
  3. An awesome haul of goodies! I ADORE 'Coraline', and the poems of Sylvia Plath are amazing. Your Goth bunny is just too cute! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Emma! :) Goth rabbit was actually spotted by Pyf, he pointed it out to me because he knew I would love it.. in fact he is the one who usually spots things I would like in second-hand shops! He knows me far too well! ~♥~

      Delete
  4. Love the nailpolishes, and are those really your nails?? They're just perfect!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosh, thanks Kitty! Yes they are my nails although to me they are far from perfect! I wish they were thicker so they didn't break as easily but at the moment they are behaving themselves! ~♥~

      Delete
  5. Those earrings are gorgeous! I had to go see Restyle's other offerings. What a great jewelry selection they have! I love their bat hair clips. Their jewelry (with stones) has sort of an antique vampire look to it, as if it was found in an old castle! There are some cool, unique handbags on that site too. This might be the first Polish Goth shop I've seen. Now I'm curious about their shipping prices to the U.S. Thanks for introducing me to Restyle. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome Justine! Restyle always has plenty of offerings to make the heart flutter! I have one handbag from Restyle but I'm hoping to get another this Christmas! ~♥~

      Delete
  6. I've got those earrings in the middle. they're soo lovely :)
    i like restyle's jewellery too, especially the bat things. And they have a similar quality like alchemy gothic.
    I'm glad that i found a shop like restyle. The order was so quickly at my home.. not like other shops from my country (germany)^^.

    I'm sorry for possible spelling mistakes :X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Bat earrings are so dark and enchanting but surprisingly not too heavy! I find myself drooling over most of Restyle's earrings, at times it is so hard to choose which ones to get but thankfully their prices are very reasonable! ~♥~

      Delete
  7. You really found so many things to buy and i'm extremely glad you did!! Favourite the Sylvia Plath Collected Poems book and the Scenes of Edwardian Life <3 I dont have to mention my love for the comic about Coraline :D and i would be a little envy about the Edgy Cute :O you got it my dear in a very great deal i think you have to enjoy it for us too ^^ Ohh and the earrings <3 They do have amazing collection of jewellery and in a good quality too!!!! When i had my last purchase from restyle i wanted the middle one's too! I'm not a big fan of earrings but they make you to me one!!!! Wonderful post my dear once again <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you sweet Magda :D Scenes of Edwardian Life is a fascinating book, jam packed with old pictures which is the reason why I bought it! I just love Edgy Cute, I want to cut all my favourite images from it to frame but that would be a crime against books! ~♥~

      Delete
  8. Ohh Looking Glass Letters and the Sylvia Plath book are ones that I would definitely be interested in! I absolutely ADORE the goth bunny, I've seen pictures of china bunnies in fetish gear on Tumblr, he totally reminds me of one of those! I remember seeing that skull money box in UO ages ago, I think it was something ridiculous like €60 and I was like Hah! *puts back on shelf* It is purrrdy though! And I am totally getting my hands on a pair of those bat wing Restyle earrings, I'm in love with the little hair clips, they are just perfect! ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really recommend those two books, I know you'll like them! They're what I ended up dipping into during our holiday! The Sylvia Plath poems definitely had an effect whilst living in that graveyard for a week! So beautiful! Fetish bunnies sound very amusing but he reminded me more of 'The Black Rabbit of Inlé' from Watership Down. The scene when Hazel dies and the black rabbit comes to take him away always makes me cry, ever since I was a very little :( Even just thinking about it with the song 'Bright Eyes' nearly brings a tear to my eye! It gets me every time! Whoa €60! That's insane! It only cost £15 in the shop and I'm sure they cost that much on their website too if you want get one. I have the black one on my Christmas list too haha! ~♥~

      Delete
  9. You got some really amazing stuff! I went to Edinburgh a couple of years ago, it really is a wonderful city, definately one of my favourites.

    That print you have next to the Alice in Wonderland one, who is the artist? It's very striking, gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't wait to go back to Edinburgh some day. I only live 2 hours away by train but it's such an amazing place that it deserves at least two days to look around! The print is called Angela and it's by surrealist artist Lori Earley! Her work is amazing! ~♥~

      Delete
  10. Oh my I'd kill for these little pieces of heaven! I love Sylvia Plath and I'm having trouble finding her work here in Bucharest... Those earings are absolutely beautiful, not to mention the cute bunny! <3

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ooh you found some lovely things! In particular I love all of the Lewis Carroll books and Sylvia Plath (I have a whole module focused on her at uni after Christmas, I'm SO excited!) I keep meaning to get some of the John Tenniel illustrations framed but I haven't gotten round to it yet (and I haven't found the frames). I think I need Good Girl Gone Bad! Really beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a fantastic Halloween visit you had -- loved the previous posts, that cottage was too much! Last year while attending another exhibit I saw the original "spider girl" (for lack of knowing the real title), there were a few more by Nicoletta Ciccoli on exhibit and all were fascinating. Looks like you made out like a bandit with all the goodies! I'm glad to hear you had such a fab time! XXX

    ReplyDelete
  13. GodDamnIt. The nail polish... Arghh. I should be saving up! You're VERY bad Bella, stop leading me astray! :P

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love the DL polish, gorgeous. I'm a big fan of Plath, we share a birthday along with Dylan Thomas, so I'm either destined for literary greatness or an early death - I'm hoping for the former!

    ReplyDelete
  15. You have the best taste in spooky treasures; I adore all of the books you chose, especially the Alice ones. I never realised Coraline was actually based on a graphic novel- you've got me far too intrigued now! Those books will look absolutely amazing on your bookshelf, and I'm already looking forward to seeing your living room xxx

    ReplyDelete
  16. Holy crap, you found some absolutely amazing things! I really hope to visit Edinburgh some day, I can hardly ever find amazing things like these and when I do it is when I'm doing a ton of searching. I want every single book and that color of nail polish is stunning. I've been searching for preserved insects to hang on the wall everywhere and I can't find them anywhere.

    Honeysuckelle

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh that rabbit is to die for!

    ReplyDelete