May 01, 2012

One Sunny Saturday in Newcastle..

After what seemed like a week of rain, Saturday was gloriously sunny which made the two and a half hour bus ride to Newcastle quite enjoyable, especially when passing through charming little villages, gleaming fields of rapeseed as far as the eyes can see and farm animals and horses grazing under the sun. It was the perfect day to be travelling through the countryside, we even passed a circus set up in a field with a large yellow and red striped big top - a part of me wanted to get off the bus and stay there for the day!

We didn't arrive into Newcastle until around 1 o'clock so we grabbed some lunch and then headed for the shops, I had planned to go into Urban Outfitters and Forbidden Planet but as we've only been to Newcastle twice before, neither Pyf nor I knew where to find them and I had poor reception on my mobile so I couldn't even look up directions over the internet!

The first stop was Fenwick where I obviously paid a visit to the MAC counter. I had already intended to get the two lipsticks below but I was suckered into buying the lip liner by a MAC rep, however this particular lip liner has been on my wish list for a while so I was more than happy to get it!


I had been lusting after Hang Up for quite some time as it's the perfect deep, but not too dark, reddened berry shade - something I've been after for ages! I had also been looking for a pink as my collection mostly consists of red and vampy shades, so after googling a few of MAC's pink lipsticks I knew Impassioned was the one to get! I had originally been creating a very similar shade by mixing a bit of Russian Red with Revlon's Rose Blush lipstick but now I can just use this one hassle free tube!



When we were in HMV we were very pleasantly surprised to see Peaceville Records in the Metal section as we have never seen a single My Dying Bride or Paradise Lost album in there before! Pyf picked a few albums for himself and I managed to find one of the two Opeth albums I was missing from my collection! All were on special offer for £6. Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter was too good an offer to pass up for just £2!


Our last stop was That's Entertainment, one of my favourite shops to frequent! As of late, I am slightly obsessed with listening to film soundtracks so when I came across a large soundtrack section I felt like a kid in a candy shop especially when I unearthed the soundtrack to my favourite childhood movie, Now and Then, featuring songs such as 'Sugar, Sugar' by The Archies, 'Knock Three Times' by Tony Orlando & Dawn and 'All Right Now' by Free. Click here to read my post about Now and Then! In the end, we walked out with 11 CD's and 1 DVD for an unbelievable £16!

Lastly are these absolutely enchanting new planters that I got a few weeks ago from Habitat which I completely forgot to post about. I came across them in my Good Homes magazine and was very happy to find them reduced from £7 each to £4.90!

I'm going to use one on my dressing table for storing my makeup brushes and the other two are for the living room. Some of you may know I'm very partial to vintage and ornate picture frames and have been collecting them for a while as I plan on creating a collage in the living room once we have finished decorating so these pots are a very welcome addition indeed! I also got two matching cushions which are still in their packaging waiting to be unveiled once the decorating is complete. The cameo and candelabras add a lovely Victorian touch to them.

If you are smitten by these planters too they are still available here although they have gone back up to £7, but still at that price they are well worth it!


I'm off to watch Now and Then and eat some lunch, not that I will taste much of it as I am still not over my flu which unfortunately worsened again after our trip to Newcastle bringing with it more earache and bunged sinuses, just when I thought I was better! O, woe is me!

16 comments:

  1. Those bargains look great. Love that nail polish shade!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah for getting out and exploring new places! I love your new shades from MAC, I swear I wear only two shades I need to try a new one for sure. I am loving your lilac nails and the new Bella shade is gorgeous! I can't believe it's that hard to find My Dying Bride, their English, eh I have heard that they do not have a very good following in the UK. I love your new planters too.
    tatalove~
    Krista

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is sadly true :( I mean they definitely DO have fans in the UK, especially up here in the north where they come from but there are far more fans in other countries where the doom metal scene is stronger, the UK is only a little place compared to America! We tend to get our CD's from websites like Amazon, especially those bands that aren't too well known, the more popular metal bands can definitely be found in HMV which is why we were surprised to see Peaceville in there as not too many people have heard of My Dying Bride, Paradise Lost or Anathema!

      You should invest in this Impassioned shade as I can see it really suiting you and your bright pink hair! xxx

      Delete
  3. YAY YOU FINALLY GOT NIGHTMOTH!! Excitement! Hang Up looks like it will go deliciously well with it, though it will probably make it a lot darker! The big lint-roller baskets always catch my eye too, they're so pretty. I imagine when you saw them it was like all your Christmases come at once! Those planters are just gorgeous, I have fabric boxes in a very similar print except without the cameo girl, and their background is pink and white vertical stripes. Not my favorite colour combination, but the chandelier and ornate frame print meant I had to get them! And I really can't wait to see your frame collage once it's done! That reminds me, I came across something on tumblr that I thought you'd love- http://vicious-beauty.tumblr.com/post/21847157652/love-love-love. I don't know where (or even if) it's available, but seriously! How amazing?? ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eeeeee! Nightmoth is a very pretty colour and I just love the name of it! When I picked Hang Up at the counter the sales girl said there was a lip liner which goes perfectly with it but she couldn't find it at the counter, then I asked if they had any Nightmoth lip liners in and she said 'That was the one I was looking for!' - luckily she found a few of them in the store room!

      I just looked at your link and WOW! That is an impressive piece of jewellery! I'd absolutely love to own that but I bet it is a one of a kind piece and probably worth quite a bit! I bet it would be quite simple, although fiddly, to make something similar, though I doubt you could find such lovely little frames! xxx

      Delete
  4. You always find the best stuff, and I am so envious of your taste in homeware. I seriously cannot wait for the unveiling of your living room. Those planters are gorgeous and will look just perfect. I must admit if I stumbled upon a nail varnish with Jasper's name on, I sure would be smitten xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Believe me Alice, I can't wait to unveil it too.. not to brag or show off but because it's taking so bloody long to complete! I can't wait for it to be finished! Believe it or not, the book shelves are STILL in the process of being made as it had to be made from scratch.. no flat packed shelves as we just wouldn't have been able to find the right size as the walls aren't the straightest in the world, this being an old house and all! It will look great when it's finished though :)

      I bet there is a nail polish shade with Jasper in it's name.. I just googled and there is one by OPI called Jasper Jade which is a gorgeous dark green colour! xxx

      Delete
  5. O,sounds like a fab trip!!!
    I like the look of "hang up";I am planning to treat myself to Mac's "russioan red" duty free when we go away nexct month (Mac is really expensive here in NZ!),and I might have to consider treating myself to 2...hmmm
    Those planters are fabulously pretty! XXX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have heard that MAC is extortionately expensive in Australia and New Zealand so if I were you I would grab a few shades - I bet you would love their shade called Film Noir! Russian Red is my favourite MAC lippy, in fact it is probably one of their most popular! xxx

      Delete
  6. Love both the polishes (no surprise there right?) especially the pale purple. MR FHCS just tracked me down a new shade I am stupidly excited about - across the universe by Deborah Lippmann, I reckon you might like it too - it's dark blue, with blue and green glitter and hexis.

    I do like Mac makeup, good spoils! And The Lost Boys is one of my fave soundtracks but I've had my copy so long it's skipping on the best track, think I'll have to repurchase at some point.

    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am loving anything Lavender coloured recently.. in fact I plan on painting the bedroom walls again next year in a deep lavender shade as I now really dislike the dark blue we chose to paint them nearly 2 years ago!

      I absolutely love Razzle Dazzle by Deborah Lippmann - so much so I have 2 bottles and they are saved for special occasions! It is the only Deborah Lippmann polish I have tried but I do love the look of some of the other shades, namely 'Red Ruby Slippers and 'Bad Romance', though I have a polish by Revlon called 'Facets of Fuchsia' which is nearly exactly the same as 'Bad Romance' but only a quarter of the price! xxx

      Delete
  7. I love jumping on a bus and exploring another place. I'm glad this foul weather let up for long enough for you to enjoy it, too. Loving those planters, totally gorgeous and a great idea for make-up brush storage. That pink Mac lipstick is such a gorgeously vibrant colour and the Bella's Choice polish is a fab shade.
    I love a great film soundtrack, too. Jackie Brown's one of my all time faves along with Pulp Fiction and Romeo and Juliet.
    Hope you're feeling lots better and that you had a lovely time at your Mum's. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like you had a great time amor.
    Quite smitten by the Mac pink lipstick.
    Those planters are perfect for your make up brushes.
    A polish with the great Bellas name, how cute.
    What lovely collection of soundtracks.
    I do favor Pulp Fiction and The Lost Boys soundtrack.

    ReplyDelete
  9. wow!That's STYLE!!super GLAM POST!

    IF U WANT TO VISIT MY BLOG STREET CHIC http://chicstreetchoc.blogspot.com/
    U CAN ALSO FIND ME ON FACEBOOK http://www.facebook.com/pages/Street-Chic/126609910754628

    ReplyDelete
  10. My home town! <3 Newcastle.

    Forbidden Planet is quite easy to find if you can locate Grainger Street (which isnt too difficult at all). Its a fab shop :D

    ReplyDelete
  11. My home town! <3 Newcastle.

    Forbidden Planet is quite easy to find if you can locate Grainger Street (which isnt too difficult at all). Its a fab shop :D

    ReplyDelete