April 12, 2012

The Art of Tim Burton

Last Thursday we visited Forbidden Planet, a gigantic comic and 'all things geeky' kinda shop, so that I could check out the Harry Potter wands and a few graphic novels that I've had my eye on for a while, but after wandering aimlessly for close to half an hour I concluded it would probably be cheaper for me to buy from Amazon..

A few weeks prior to this I came across the new 'Art of Tim Burton' book whilst browsing online and immediately knew that I had to get my hands on a copy someday but the only store to stock them in the UK was Forbidden Planet which I had all but forgotten about until my other half waved me over to a corner of the shop and pointed at something high up on a shelf which made my heart skip a beat! He lifted it down, placed it in my hands, I ran to the counter, paid, and walked out with my new book of Tim Burton magic.

I ended up buying the standard edition because no matter how much I love Tim Burton I wasn't prepared to blow £190 on the Deluxe Edition which was basically exactly the same apart from the fact that it's hand signed by Tim Burton.


I adore the look and style of the book, it has a fabric cover which does attract all kinds of fluff, and in my case cat hair, but a lint roller does the job (first time I ever lint rolled a book!) I love the swirly black and white inside page, almost like an optical illusion, so very Tim Burton-esque! 


Included are sketches from Burton's short animated film 'Vincent' which I love oh so very much! You can watch Vincent here. Click!


 I'm guessing this is a sketch of a character from '9', a film about rag dolls in a post-apocalyptic world that must save humankind.


I'm also guessing this is an alternate character design for Sally from The Nightmare Before Christmas, it would have been awesome if Sally's dress was like this in the film but then she wouldn't look so innocent!


The Corpse Bride!


Character design for Lydia Deetz, a much loved misfit of mine from the film Beetlejuice. I quite enjoyed this contribution from Winona Ryder who played Lydia.


Mars Attacks! was mine and my little brother's favourite film to watch together when we were kids. It's hard to believe that this film came out when I was 8 years old but then again we did own it on VHS!


Some sketches for my all time favourite Burton film, Sleepy Hollow! 


It was no easy task trying to narrow down which pictures I wanted to include in this post out of the 1000+ possibilities, I wish I could share much more but I don't want to spoil it for any other fans out there that are now desperate to get their hands on this book! I now have a really strong urge to grab every single Burton film from our DVD collection and have a marathon!


I hope you enjoyed this sneak peek into the mad mind of Tim Burton because I sure did, it's going to take quite a while to read through it properly because I keep being distracted by all the images, which of course isn't a bad thing at all! 

31 comments:

  1. Gosh what a stunning book! It's hard not to get enthralled by such stunning imagery like this. I have always admired Tim Burton's work he is an incredibly inspiring person. This whole book looks so fulfilling and worth every single penny I can imagine. I'm sure this is a book you will treasure forever Sandy.
    I'm dying to visit a Forbidden Planet shop one day! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could easily spend a few hours in forbidden planet as there was just too many things I wanted to look at! Their prices aren't the best though and you'll probably find them cheaper on Amazon but they do have some things that you wont find elsewhere like signed copies!

      This book will be treated with gentle hands as I want it to stay in pristine condition! I'm so happy I have it! xx

      Delete
  2. oh wowww i want thi looks amazing!
    www.whokilledlola.blogspot.co.uk
    x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Saw that at the exhibit here in Los Angeles ... I <3 his macabre mind!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow!! That book is completely amazing, I love Tim Burton, this is definitely an amazing buy!
    I really want to read the rest now I have seen your pictures.

    Also, you Pumpkin King sculpture is amazing! You are talented =)
    xx
    emsipop.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'd love this tim burton book - looks amazing, so too does your art work! You are one talented lady, you should show us more of your art :o) Scarlett x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the compliment :) I've always been good at art and would always get accommodations for my work during school (I even did some of my friends art homework for them so they'd get higher grades.. naughty naughty!) I always feel like doing paintings and crafty things at home but I just never get around to it!

      Delete
  6. I'd love this tim burton book - looks amazing, so too does your art work! You are one talented lady, you should show us more of your art :o) Scarlett x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh Sandy I am going to have to run out and get this book! It's making me want an entire sleeve dedicated to his holiness Tim Burton!

    I almost forgot to ask how was Korn?!?
    XOXO
    Krista

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A Tim Burton sleeve would be awesome!! I wouldn't mind having a Tim Burton related tattoo myself!

      The Korn gig was amazing but by the end of it my feet were utterly dead! I had a good view too! xx

      Delete
  8. Fantastic book, I'll have to look for it here in NY! A lot of the images are the same as the book that went with the exhibit they did at MoMa a year or two ago; if they take this overseas you *must* see it! Its not only blow-you-away amazing, showcasing work from when he was a teen and through today, but it was so extensive that my daughter and I were quite overwhelmed! Such a talented man! You're quite talented too, I adore your Jack sculpture! XXX Suzanne
    PS I live just one town over from the real town of Sleepy Hollow. They also just filmed parts of "Dark Shadows" there, as they did with the original TV show. The Old Dutch Church cemetery is fairly spooky at night! Oddly enough where I live is where they film a lot of "Mad Men", can we say dichotomy? Heehee!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am very envious of you for living in such an exciting location! I'd have been over there spying with some binoculars when they were filming if only to catch a glimpse of Johnny, Helena and Burton!

      The last I heard of the Exhibit it was in Paris - just over the English Channel! I'd really love to be able to go but that means renewing my passport and booking trains and a hotel :( I don't think he's going to be coming to the UK as he says the London press don't like him! Such a shame, there would be plenty of people here that would die to visit his exhibit, including me!!

      Delete
  9. This book looks amazing - I loved his book of short stories 'The Melancholy Death of Oyster Boy' and I loved everything about it, including the quirky artwork.
    Plus Jack Skellington is my all time favourite movie character.

    Gems x

    Fashion, Well Done

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've loved everything Burton has done since Nightmare Before Christmas! My mams friend bought it for me on vhs when it first came out as she thought it was a nice children's film, and because my birthday is Halloween.. Though the first time I watched it, it scared me to death and I wouldn't watch it all the way through! Gradually I got over it and it became a tradition that on my birthday each year me and my mam would watch it as soon as I got up! Along with Hocus Pocus! This book is amazing, I love the cover and the quote from Helena. Also Sally's alternate dress! Wowzer! Sandy you are one talented miss, it's a shame you didn't keep your Pumpkin King, I imagine he would've made an awesome addition to your decor. Behind the telly! Or in the dining room! It's so interesting you did Art & Design, I don't think you've ever mentioned it before. Do you still do it? I'm actually interested in pursuing an Art course of some kind, thinking of doing it in England, as they seem to have the best ones! In Ireland there's only two places to do Art and neither of them take my fancy :/ ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seeing as Beetlejuice was released the year I was born and Edward Scissorhands when I was 2 years old I'd say my first Tim Burton film was Mars Attacks! Me and my little brother loved that film and it is probably the film that got me hooked on Tim Burton but NBC is definitely where a lot of my love for Burton really stems from, although my favourite Burton film is Sleepy Hollow ♥

      We were given the option to take our final projects home with us after the end of year show where all our work was open for public viewing but my Pumpkin King was just way too big to take home on the BUS! They said whatever isn't taken home will be binned as they'll assume we don't want it but I suppose my tutor thought my pumpkin king was good enough to keep in the sculpture room (although headless).

      I originally wanted to do History in college but the nearest college didn't offer it so I chose Art & Design instead - it was a really really fun course and I recommend it if you want to do it!

      Delete
  11. What a gorgeous book to have - I adore Tim and am a bit obsessed with Helena - what I would give to live in their world! Sarah xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tell me about it! Their lives are a dream come true!

      Delete
  12. Beetlejuice! Beetlejuice! Beetlejuice!

    Used to love that film so much. Love your sketches and that anecdote from Helena Bonham Carter is hilarious.

    Went in a Forbidden Planet with the kids in Edinburgh - think I have made a big mistake, they were in there ages looking at Star Wars stuff!

    Faith Hope and Charity Swap 2012 Sign up now OPEN!

    ReplyDelete
  13. i cant find this book on amazon -.-

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can only purchase this book from Forbidden Planet or Tim Burton's official website, you might even find a few floating around on eBay!

      Delete
  14. Oh how I would love to see your Pumpkin Man!!!!! His naked body looks so expressive, does that sound weird? Why yes it does which is a good thing of course! The head is beautiful and I hope you find the photo one day. I'm so glad you purchased the book, it looks so precious and absorbing. Yes to a TB marathon! xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  15. gorgeous images!
    That's what Tim Burton should stick too, instead raping up Movies like The Dark Shadows such a joke his version.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't seen The Dark Shadows yet and won't until it comes out on DVD so I'll hold my judgement until then - I do quite like the trailer though!

      Delete
  16. This book is amazing, I got it as a gift from my boyfriend. I love looking at the pictures and get inspiration :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I meant to respond to this post earlier, but wanted to wait until I had enough time to really read it thoroughly. What a great book! How funny that you needed to use a lint roller on it. :)

    It looks like the book includes drawings from every Tim Burton project! The Batman sketches were very cool, and they look a lot like the actual characters in that movie. Tim Burton's Batman is a favorite version of Batman for me! The Helena Bonham Carter story was cute. I can't imagine being the man who approached her outside that pub! I guess he was left with a good story. :)

    Thanks for sharing your new book with us!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh... This blog are so perfect! I love Tim Burton's work!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Damn.. Those piece of art are just stunning and adorable.
    Would I be able to buy this book from somewhere??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The book is available to buy online at Forbidden Planet!

      Delete