March 16, 2012

The Lamp Makeover

Do you remember the two lamps that I recently purchased on sale at Dunelm Mill? I loved the base of the lamps and the colour of the shades but I found them to be a bit plain and uninspiring, so with that I decided to spruce them up a bit by giving them a makeover!

I think I must have browsed through every single type of trim you could imagine on eBay until I finally decided upon a beaded trim and even then the band that the beads were on was a little too plain for my liking. So, in the end I also chose a more decorative trim to cover the beaded band and I'm really happy with how they turned out..


I'm not very good with a needle and thread, I can repair holes in clothes and sew on buttons but I didn't feel confident enough with my needlework to experiment on these brand new lamps, instead I opted to use some fabric glue which was so simple to use!


This was such an easy and rewarding project to do, I've even got some trim left over for the future. As you can see our living room walls are still bare plaster, but once it's all been done these lamps will look gorgeous set in place. Until then they are being kept somewhere out of Bella's reach although she doesn't seem to be paying them very much attention so far, so hopefully they're safe!

I hope you all have a wonderful Mother's Day weekend. I'm on a bit of a Vincent Price kick at the moment so I'll no doubt fit in a few of his old classics over the weekend starting with the Pit and the Pendulum! 

15 comments:

  1. Check you out with the fancy moving picture thingie - cool! I love the trim you chose, definitely makes them a bit more special looking. I once had a pair of wide leg black trousers which I hand sewed very similar trim to the hems of - never again, it took ages!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooft, they look so much better now! I love the beading. Can't wait to see what your living room is going to turn out like, with your taste I bet it'll be all decadent and boudoir-ish! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  3. The moving picture is amazing! As for the lamp transformation - I love it! A thousand times better.

    ReplyDelete
  4. They look much nicer now - so you! It's amazing what can be done with some fancy trim and a bit of fabric glue x

    ReplyDelete
  5. These look blooming amazing! Great job :o) Scarlett x

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love what you did with these gorgeous lamps. beads match your wall perfectly.
    I am love with Vincent Price.. so I can see why your preoccupied.
    I was cracking with your bracelet comment,hahaayy
    You know I cant hate you until I meet you. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. The lamps turned out wonderful! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cool idea! =)

    http://pinkchampagnefashion.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  9. They look a million times better, lots more glamorous and far more in keeping with all your fabulous bits and bobs. I did something similar with one of my lampshades but it got ruined by a playful cat. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's a real improvement for your lamps! Oh, I doubt anyone sews fringe onto lamp shades, even manufacturers. At least not that I've ever seen. That's cool how you had the lamp change from unfringed to fringed in the blink of an eye. That really gives us the idea.

    It's Mothers Day weekend where you are? I didn't know that we had that holiday at different times. Our Mother's Day comes up in May.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Gosh what a wonderful transformation! They look so much better and suited to your taste. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  12. They look fantastic! Sarah xxx


    AAARRRRRGGGH - did you know that blogger has put WORD VERIFICATION on your comments, Love?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sarah - Thanks for letting me know! I can't stand word verification so I've taken it off now! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  14. You did a beautiful job on the lamps.Just love the beading.xx

    ReplyDelete